Tuesday 14 January 2014

HSF 2014 - Challenge #1 - Make Do and Mend

For my first challenge, I decided to "Make Do" and convert a linen curtain into two aprons.  A few months ago, I happened to spot a creamy curtain in the home section of the local thrift store.  In looking a little closer, I found the label (it was from IKEA) and fabric content was stated as 100% linen!

I took it home, washed it, and it's a lovely heavier-weighted linen.  Perfect for work aprons!

Because there was enough fabric for two, I opted to make both as bib front aprons: one for Regency (high waistline) and one for 1730s New France (longer bib for tying at the waist).  In both cases, I made the bib in more of a trapezoid shape (not a straight square) for a little more variety.

The Challenge:  #1 Make Do and Mend





Fabric:   100% linen, previously a curtain!

Pattern:   Of my own creation

Year:       Specifically intended for 1730 and 1812, but I think it could move cross-eras.

Notions:  Only thread.  The ties for the apron are self-made with the same linen.

How historically accurate is it?  100% handsewn (OK, except for the side seams...those were pre-fab, so why would I redo them?)  Pattern and fabric content are both appropriate.  Let's say 90%

Hours to complete:  About 3.5 hours each.  7.0 hours in total

First worn:  Maybe at the winter festival in February?  Maybe tomorrow if I feel like baking...

Total cost:  The curtain was marked at $7.99; thread is essentially free for the amount used.  With taxes, this project was less than $10 to complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment